During summer break, I am spending a lot of time working on my digital painting skills. Here is my most recent work. I know I still have a long way to go, but I am happy with this as a good step along the way. As far as looking convincingly three-dimensional and structured, I feel this is a success. The details could be better. Also, the lighting could be a lot better. Here is how I did it.
I learned a lot from studying the other painting. Even though I know my T-Rex is much worse than the painting I copied, I still feel as though I improved quite a bit in doing this. Going forward, I will continue to study other paintings and photos, then try to get a similar result in my own paintings hoping for steady improvement.